Replacing the Garden Fences

A quick review of how the garden has been developing. We left off here after some garden updates:

Photo 17-03-2014 16 06 17

…and then added a Raised Bed.IMG_5017

The next thing we desperately needed to do was replace the fences. We had several quotes for removing the old fences and fitting new ones, but they were so expensive that we decided to have a go at it ourselves. We measured up and bought all of the materials we needed from New Forest Fencing.  We had to wait for a couple of weeks for the delivery (due to ordering just after a lot of wintery storms), so in the meantime we got on with preparing the garden.

Removing the old fences.

Then Mike dug out the rotten wooden posts and associated concrete. This was a big job which required a lot of digging, a special spade, a concrete breaker and some ingenuity! As you can see below, the concrete went quite deep and left some fairly large holes behind.

IMG_5025

IMG_5021

We had a few metal posts in the garden. These were still sturdy (with the exception of one) and therefore we reused them. The one which did not survive came in handy for levering out the old concrete.

IMG_5026

Once all of the fences and posts had been removed we had a lovely big garden. it was almost a shame to replace them all, but we felt our neighbours might notice eventually.

IMG_5029

IMG_5023

Refurbishing the Metal Posts

Whilst Mike was battling with concrete, Kate refurbished the remaining metal posts that were still nice and sturdy as they were a bit rusty and sad.

To do this she used a wire brush drill bit from Screwfix. This made the sanding of the metal posts quite easy.

IMG_5038

Once sanded, the posts were rubbed down with a damp cloth to remove any loose material/dust and then re-painted with Rust-Oleum all surface black spray paint. We were really pleased with this product – it provided excellent coverage, gave a lovely finish and was very easy to use. Even after more than a year they are holding up very well to the British weather too.

IMG_5041

IMG_5039

Constructing the Fence

Finally, the new fences were delivered.

IMG_5048

Kate’s Dad helped Mike put up the fences. They used Postcrete to secure the new wooden posts. We decided to add gravel boards to the bottom of the fences too to keep everything neat but also as they often rot first and can be replaced independently (therefore prolonging the life of the fencing).
IMG_5075 IMG_5074

Neighbour’s Fencing

We replaced the fencing on two sides of our garden as this is what we are responsible for according to our deeds. Shortly after doing this, our neighbour also replaced the fences on the remaining side too. They were in a fairly poor state so this has made quite a difference to the feel of the garden.

IMG_5962
Before: The neighbour’s fence
IMG_8070
After: The neighbour’s fence

There was also a very large and rampant ivy plant near to our house which had fused itself in to the fence posts. We had tried many times to try and get rid of this (cutting large chunks out of the main stems and removing as much of the foliage as possible) but it kept living on regardless. Replacing this fence gave us the chance to finally get rid of it.

IMG_5273IMG_8062

Replacing the fences made a huge difference to the feel of the garden and allowed us to get on with some other projects which we will tell you about soon. It has also given us a bit more privacy as we have raised the fences all the way around (just a little bit) and we are really pleased with the finished result.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *