Kitchen Improvements

We blogged a while ago about our Kitchen and the Bodged Electrics, which left the room in a bit of a sorry state. So, whilst we were sorting the study out over Easter, Kate’s Dad came down to help us finish off the Kitchen.

Tiling and Tidying Up Behind the Fridge:

When we moved in to the house we found that there was a large patch of plaster missing on the wall behind the fridge. There were also several large holes and channels where wires had been chased through the walls in the past.

There wasn’t any skirting on the back wall, and the skirting on the right hand wall was only half painted. Furthermore, this bit of wall also housed two cooker switches, one of which had the spur running from it for the cupboard light and sockets in the lounge. Our electrician had sorted out these issues leaving us with just one safe (and legal) switch, but it left us with some broken tiles that needed replacing.

Unfortunately, we didn’t get round to taking a “before picture” of this bit when we first moved in, so we pick up the tale after some painting, filling and plastering had taken place.

Before_After_BehindFridge
Before and After: Re-tiling, painting and adding Skirting Board
P1010833
During: Thanks Daddy!

Re-Tiling:

Another electrical issue we had was a socket overhanging the gas hob. This had to be moved out of the way and a blanking plate installed in its place. Again, this left us with quite a few broken or missing tiles, so Kate’s Dad sorted that out too…

Before_After_sockets2
Before and After: Socket on the left replaced one where the blanking plate now lives
Before_After_sockets1
And closer up….good as new!

New Blinds:

We are a bit over looked at the back of our house (and the front actually – the joy of a terraced house in the city), so we wanted some blinds in the Kitchen to add a bit of privacy and obviously to shade us from the sun when necessary! We picked up some reasonably priced Ikea Venetian blinds which we’re mighty pleased with.

P1010838
During
Before_After_Blinds
Before and After: Window 1
Before_After_Blinds2
Before and After: Window 2

Before/After:

This room is slowly changing so its easy to forget how different it is from when we first looked around…

Kitchen Before_After
Left: Before; Right: Progress is being made!

It has already changed again since taking this “progress” photo – we’ve added a wine rack and unpacked our coffee machine!

Going Forwards:

There are a few remaining fiddly jobs in the Kitchen (such as properly attaching some skirting behind the radiator which is currently just resting against the wall). Also, a few final tweaks will make it fully fit for purpose, such as adding these in the two corner cupboards to maximise our storage:

Le Mans Corner Storage Solution

But that is a little way off yet. For now, on with Bedroom 2!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *